Friday, June 25, 2010

Snack Pack Pudding vs Black Sambo

Snack Pack Chocolate
It was Emily's indulgence in The Devil Wears Prada that reminds me everytime I pass by that shelf in the grocery. I couldn't be sure how it would taste. Emily was hungrily devouring each spoonful. It actually look like chocolate-peanut butter spread that's too sweet without bread.

I had to give it a try tonight.

It tasted familiar! I have even made a similar dessert called Black Sambo. From my calculation, each cup was at least P25 ++. My Sambo was cheaper. Anybody can make it, no special skills required. All you need are the following ingredients:
Alsa Gulaman

  • 1 pack Alsa Gulaman (unflavored)
  • 2 or 3 table spoon cocoa powder
  • white sugar
  • 1 small can evap milk
  • 1 packet all-purpose cream

Dissolve the Gulaman according to package instructions. Replace water with milk. Add in also the all-purpose cream. The liquid mixture can be increased or decreased depending on the thickness that you want to achieve. I like mine thicker so when it's cool, it can stand when removed from its mold. When the Gulaman is dissolved, remove from heat and gradually add the cocoa powder and the sugar while consistently stirring the mixture. I don't really measure my sugar, so you have to taste it. Anyway, it doesn't actually need to be cooked. When everything is thoroughly mixed, you can pour it in a mold (if its thick) or on individual cups. Let it cool. I like it best when it is chilled. I believe it's not more than P100 for 1 and a half cup Black Sambo.

You can replace cocoa powder with any flavoring that you like. You can even use fruits like mango or strawberry sliced thinly. I think this process is also used for a Cathedral Window. But I guess Knox Gelatin is used here instead of Gulaman.

Cathedral Window

Enjoy!



add to del.icio.us : Add to Blinkslist : add to furl : Digg it : add to ma.gnolia : Stumble It! : add to simpy : seed the vine : : : TailRank : post to facebook

1 comments:

  1. we made our first sambo together back at your home in Bohol, pina!wasn't that a bit of a disaster?? :D hehehe

    ReplyDelete